Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Contributor Post: How Group Fitness Changed My Life

Hi guys and happy Tuesday! Mal is here with a post on how group fitness changed her life. It is a good read and she makes some great points. Enjoy!


Group Fitness Changed My Life



When I graduated high school I decided I wanted to try out to be a member of the Utah Jazz Dancers.  I was a pretty good dancer so I thought I had a good chance of making the team.  Well, tryouts came along and guess what? I didn’t make it.  It was really devastating for me.  I had really gotten my hopes up and not making it felt like I ran into a brick wall. 

When I didn’t make it I kept asking myself… why?  And then I realized something… I had never really step foot inside a gym.  Yeah I was a good dancer but was my body in top physical shape?  Nope. 

It was right then and there that I decided to make a change.  If I wanted to try out again next year, I was going to come back at my best.  I got a pass at my local Gold’s Gym.  My first day there was…interesting.  I walked around the gym a little bit.  Watched people use these weird machines (there was no way I was going to try one out and look like a fool).  By the time I actually decided to just go on the treadmill, it was already time for me to leave.

 As I was leaving I saw a bunch of people standing by this glass door leading into a large studio.  It definitely intrigued me.  They weren’t dancing in there I assumed...so I asked a guy at the front desk what was going on.  He informed me there are group fitness classes that happen every morning/night. 

The next day I came back to the gym—this time to actually work out instead of just walking around aimlessly.  I was going to take a group fitness class.  It was a little intimidating walking in to the studio.  Everyone looked like they had been coming for a while and knew exactly what they were doing.  Luckily, someone noticed that I looked a little lost and help me set up my station.  I had a bench, a mat, a barbell, and a bunch of different weight plates. I was definitely nervous.

And then the music started.

Everyone picked up their barbells and started moving in unison to the beat of the music while following the instructor.  It was beautiful.  It was a choreographed work out.  And I loved it.

When the class was over I felt sweaty, tired, fatigued, and motivated.  Something lit up inside me that is only burning stronger now.  The energy in the class and the motivation of everyone around me just completely changed my mind about what working out was.  It was fun!

I went to classes every day for about two months and then I got a call.  A call that would change my life.  It was Jan Whittaker, coach of the Utah Jazz Dancers.  She told me that she had a couple girls who were no longer dancing with the team and she asked if I would be willing to fill the spot. 

My heart dropped.

I was seriously so excited that I didn’t even know what to say.  But of course I said YES!  And the awesome thing was, I was ready.  I had been working my butt off in my group fitness classes and I not only could dance the part, but I now looked the part. 



My first practice with the Jazz Dancers I met a man named Neil Anderson.  He was our trainer.  The workouts he did with us were kind of like my group fitness classes but a little shorter and more intense.  I LOVED it.  He told us he owned a gym and we were welcome to come take classes.  I definitely took advantage of that offer.

My first day at FitZone (now GPP Fitness) was amazing.  Everyone in the class was doing the same workout and all working towards the same goal.  The motivation and drive was incredible.  Everyone cheered each other on and everyone was on the same team.  Why wouldn’t you want to be a part of that?  I was instantly addicted. 

Long story short, group fitness changed my life.  It started off with Les Mills classes at Gold’s Gym and quickly incorporated Neil Anderson’s GPP Fitness.  There is something magic about working out with a group instead of just working out on your own.  There is extra push, extra motivation, extra intensity, and a sense of community.  It will keep you coming back, wanting more, instills a love of fitness, and changes your mind and body for the better. 

Now that I live in Ohio, I miss GPP Fitness A TON.  However, I still do the workouts on my own and post my results on the GPP website (gppfitness.com) to stay a part of the community. 

This weekend I participated in a Les Mills Body Pump instructor certification boot camp.  It was awesome.  I learned so much, gained a ton of new insight, and was definitely pushed.  Body Pump was actually that first class that I took at Gold’s Gym.  I am so excited to bring that energy and excitement to the people of Ohio.


This week instead of giving you a workout, I’m giving you a challenge.  Go find a group fitness class and GET IN IT.  I promise you, you will never regret it.  If you are in Utah, check out GPP Fitness.  It will change your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment